الأربعاء، 11 يوليو 2012

Excerpt (1) from Safe or Sound? kitchen scene

Hala struggled to grasp the idea and keep it at the back of her mind; it was a smart solution to the most complicated problem in her thesis that kept bothering her for the last month. It popped into her mind like a fire work of all shapes and colors as she put the meat in boiling water to cook for lunch. She knew she would have to work hard and long to put the sparkling idea into shape so that she would not have to miss up the rest of the chapters she had already finished ; the chapters approved by both the supervisors who rarely agree on anything at all. Those damn university regulations never fail to make my life a torture since I started writing my PhD.
Hala knew for sure that Salem would be upset if the food was not ready the moment he comes home. So she did not leave the kitchen to write her idea; instead, she decided to move the meat, which refused to cook after half an hour, to the pressure pot and start right away with the salad.  She moved nervously form the sink, where she had soaked lettuce in water and vinegar, to the fridge, to get tomatoes and cucumbers. She heard the key click in the door announcing Salem's arrival. "Thank God, I have washed the vegetables last night" she murmured to herself. She grabbed the cutting board from the rack where it was hanged and  the salad bowl from the top shelf and started to make the salad. She heard Salem's steps as he went to the bathroom then the living room and knew she would better hurry up and serve his lunch.  She ran to the fridge to get the dressing she prepared before as her mother advised. She was grateful that everything was ready when she suddenly detected a faint burning smell; Oh my God, now I have to start rice pudding all over again; she turned off the cook and took the plates to the dining table. I will soak some rice and it will be ready by the time he wakes up after his nap. I am not going to sleep anyway; I will have to work this long chapter out or I will lose track of how to do it.
Excerpt (1) from my upcoming novel: 
Safe or Sound?

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق